(McGraw-Hill: New York) -- When Vern Clark became the Chief of Naval Operations in 2001, he made alignment one of his top five goals for the U.S. Navy. He also made George Labovitz and Victor Rosansky’s pioneering book, The Power of Alignment (Wiley, 1997), required reading for every admiral. Under Clark’s leadership, the U.S. Navy underwent one of the greatest—and most successful—organizational transformations in its 200-year history.
Now Labovitz and Rosansky have provided the highly anticipated follow-up with their book, Rapid Realignment: How to Quickly Integrate People, Processes, and Strategy for Unbeatable Performance (McGraw-Hill, 2012).
The business world has changed dramatically since 1997. With the pace of technological, competitive, and social change increasing at an amazing rate, the difference between winning and losing today lies in a company’s ability to adapt and stay focused. Rapid Realignment gives you the insights and tools you need to ensure that strategy, customers, processes, and people work seamlessly together in the service of customers, and that they continually realign in the face of change. The authors provide everything you need to know about:
• Engaging employees at every level with the “Main Thing” of your business
• Linking strategy and organizational processes
• Bringing the customer voice inside your company through social media
• Using social media and digital technology to quickly identify points of misalignment at any level
• Creating the “Enterprise Effect”
Case studies from a broad array of companies, including FedEx, Quest Diagnostics, the U.S. Navy, Dana Farber/Children’s Hospital Cancer Center, Farmington Bank, and others clearly illustrate the authors’ methods, demonstrating that they work in any industry.
Rapid Realignment provides a practical blueprint for “wowing” customers and reaching peak organizational performance—no matter what today’s turbulent world throws your way.
1. The Big Picture: The Alignment Framework
2. From Strategic Intent to Tactical Action: Vertical Alignment
3. Energizing People: Employee Engagement
4. Getting to “Wow!”: Horizontal Alignment
5. Better and Better: Continuous Process Improvement
6. Social Media as an Alignment Tool
7. Culture: The Secret Sauce
8. Rapid Realignment: Methods and Tools
9. The Enterprise Effect: The Ultimate Expression of Alignment
Appendix—Implementing the Alignment Assessment Tool: A Case Example
George H. Labovitz is the founder and CEO of Organizational Dynamics Inc. (ODI), an international management training and consulting company. He is also a professor of management and organizational behavior at the Boston University Graduate School of Management.
Victor Rosansky is the cofounder and president of LHR International Inc. based in Massachusetts. He has more than 25 years of experience as a consultant helping Fortune 500 clients to drive rapid strategy deployment and alignment. Rosansky holds master’s degrees in economics and psychology as well as an MBA.